Welcome to the Issues and Action Group on Immigrants’ Rights.
Immigration We are a nation of diverse cultures. Immigrants strengthen the United States of America. All immigrants should be afforded full human rights and a fair, safe, and timely path to legal status or citizenship. (Washington Democrats State Platform, 2017)
- Providing drivers and rides to appointments for community members fearing detention
- Organizing a Rapid Response team in case of local detentions/deportations
- Distributed 200 IMMIGRANTS AND REFUGEES WELCOME HERE yard signs
- Made and are distributing IMMIGRANT RIGHTS ADVOCATES buttons
- Interview on KPTZ Compass program
- Planning KNOW YOUR RIGHTS sessions for allies and helpers in ICE/BP incidents
- Planning a PT IMMIGRATION LEGAL CLINIC to be conducted with trained advisors from Kitsap Immigrant Assistance Center
- Discussing immigration education for larger PT community
ICE now has a Community Relations Officer for the Northwest Region who can answer questions about any detentions or raids but only if you can supply the date and location at which the incident occurs. Contact
Melissa A. Nitsch
Community Relations Officer
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
Seattle Field Office
Next MeetingTuesday, March 28, 4:30 – 6 PMRosewind Common HouseUmatilla and HainesBring slippers, socksNew people always welcome
Immigrants Rights is a Platform Issue. The following statement on social justice is quoted from the Washington State Democrats platform:
Immigration We are a nation of diverse cultures. Immigrants strengthen the United States of America. All immigrants should be afforded full human rights and a fair, safe, and timely path to legal status or citizenship.
Jefferson County Democrats Bylaws bind us to “Administer the party organization in accordance with the National and State Party Charters and in a manner that will facilitate achievement of party goals at all levels of government.” And to “Endorse and/or support organizations and activities that reflect the Platform of the Jefferson County Democrats and that improve the welfare of Jefferson County, its people, and its natural environment.”
Within JCD, this group will help JCD membership study and track legislation pertaining to immigrants rights, such that the membership can intelligently question candidates for office as well as elected representatives, and inform others.
- Click here to read the Jefferson County Democrats’ Platform.
- Click here to read the Jefferson County Democrats’ Bylaws.
- Click here to read Washington State Democrats’ Immigration page.
- Click here to read the Washington State Democrats Platform.
- Click here to read about the Washington State legislative process.
- Click here to read about SB 5689 (Establishing a statewide policy supporting Washington state’s economy and immigrants’ role in the workplace.)
- Click here to read about HB 1985 (Companion bill to SB 5689.)
- Click here to read about HB 2097 (Limiting disclosure of information about the religious affiliation of individuals.)
- Click here to read about HB 2029 (Providing a referral resource for those seeking information and assistance for immigration and citizenship related matters.) Representative Steve Tharinger is a co-sponsor of HB 2029.
To join the people who will be leading research and action on this important topic, contact Contact: Libby Palmer firstname.lastname@example.org