Hello, and welcome to the Issues and Action Group on Healthcare!
We meet the 2nd Thursday of each month at 9:00 to 10:30 a.m. at Quimper Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 2333 San Juan Ave, Port Townsend, WA 98368. Contact: Carla Woodward, (360) 531-4510, email@example.com for details.
- Actions to Take
- Meeting Notices
- Statement of Purpose
- Current Legislation
- Other Single Payer Organizations
- The AHCA TrumpCare ACA repeal bill passed the House on May 4th, without CBO cost scoring, and with Republican representatives admitting they had not read it. It moves to the Senate where it will face significant challenges.
Healthcare for All Washington – Single Payer Event with Dr. John GeymanSunday, May 21st, 2-4pmBainbridge Island Museum of Art Auditorium550 Winslow Way EastBainbridge Island, WAPlease join Health Care For All Washington for this special event to learn about the creation of a single payer universal health care system in Washington State.Speakers: Dr. John Geyman, author and health care policy expert, Sen. Bob Hasegawa, sponsor of a senate bill to implement single payer in Washington, and Rep. Sherry Appleton, sponsor of the house single payer bill.The event is free to the public and light refreshments will be served.Need further information? Call 206-713-8713
- Meets the 2nd Thursday of each month at 9:00 a.m. at Quimper Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 2333 San Juan Ave, Port Townsend, WA 98368. Contact: Carla Woodward, (360) 531-4510, firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Health Care is a Platform Issue
“We believe high quality health care is an essential human right. We advocate for systems that support mental health, physical well-being and dental care. It is essential that all patients be fully informed of all legal medical options for their care, and be given prompt access to treatments of their choice.” Jefferson County Democrats’ Platform. Healthcare is the special focus of concerned Democrats.
Within JCD, this group will help JCD membership study and track legislation pertaining to healthcare, so that membership can intelligently question candidates for office as well as elected representatives, and inform others.
- Click here to read the Jefferson County Democrats’ Platform.
- Click here to read the Jefferson County Democrats’ Bylaws.
- Click here to read Washington State Democrats’ Immigration page.
- Click here to read the Washington State Democrats Platform.
- Click here to read about the Washington State legislative process.
- Click here to read about HR676, Expanded & Improved Medicare for All Act.
- Click here to read about S.771, Improving Access To Affordable Prescription Drugs Act
- Click here to read about WA HB 1026, Requiring the submission of a waiver to the federal government to create the Washington health security trust.
- This bill would create single payer financing.
- Co-sponsored by our own Mike Chapman and Steve Tharinger.
- From HB 1026 text:
“The people of the state of Washington declare their intention to create a single health financing entity called the Washington health security trust. Through public hearings, research, and consensus building, the trust will: (a) Provide fair, simple, and accountable health care financing for all Washington residents using a single health care financing entity; (b) cover a comprehensive package of effective and necessary personal health services; (c) make health care coverage independent from employment; (d) eliminate excessive administrative costs resulting from the current fragmented system of multiple insurers; (e) generate savings sufficient to ensure coverage for all Washington residents; (f) integrate current publicly sponsored health programs into the health security trust; (g) preserve choice of providers for Washington residents; (h) protect patient rights; (i) keep clinical decisions in the hands of health professionals and patients, rather than administrative 14 personnel; (j) promote health care quality; and (k) control excessive health care costs.”
To join the people who will be leading research and action on this important topic, contact Contact: Carla Woodward, (360) 531-4510, email@example.com.
- Whole Washington – Currently organizing for a single payer initiative campaign action for Washington State
- Health Care for All-WA -Working for high quality, sustainable, affordable, publicly-funded health care for ALL Washington residents
- Puget Sound Advocates for Retirement Action (PSARA) – Efforts are based on the belief that seniors, our children and grandchildren need and deserve: Comprehensive, affordable health care, including prescription drug coverage; among other basic rights.
- Physicians for a National Healthcare Plan – Western Washington – A single issue organization advocating a universal, comprehensive single-payer national health program
- National Nurses United – Supports a Medicare for all healthcare system that requires each participating state to set up and administer comprehensive healthcare services as an entitlement for all, through a progressively financed, single-payer system, administered by the states.
- Healthcare – NOW – To win a national single-payer health care system. Because access to healthcare is basic to human dignity.