Healthcare at The Tipping Point…
When: Monday, February 12th, 7pm
Where: Quimper Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 2333 San Juan Ave, Port Townsend
Fix it is a powerful documentary that reaches across the political and ideological divide. It makes the case for business leaders’ support for major healthcare reform.
The film was two years in the making, with more than forty voices advocating for reform, including: activists, health policy experts, economists, physicians, nurses, patients, business and labor leaders.
This documentary takes an in-depth look into how our dysfunctional health care system is damaging our economy, suffocating our businesses, discouraging physicians and negatively impacting on the nation’s health, while remaining un-affordable for a third of our citizens.
See the film’s trailer below.
Hello, and welcome to the Issues and Action Group on Single Payer Healthcare!
- Actions to Take
- Meeting Notices
- Statement of Purpose
- Current Legislation
- Contact us
- Other Single Payer Organizations
Host a showing of “Now is the Time: Healthcare for Everybody” for your friends and neighbors
The Healthcare Committee has copies of the film, public showing license, promotional materials, screening kit, and study guide resources. Contact Carla Woodward or Jenifer Taylor for details.
Support a Universal Healthcare Ballot Initiative for Washington with citizen-driven Whole Washington:
Whole Washington is an ambitious group of citizens and healthcare professionals, determined to bring universal healthcare coverage to Washington State through a ballot initiative. We believe healthcare is a human right.
Help us get Single Payer on the ballot in Washington State!
- Donate – help support this ballot initiative’s development
- Volunteer – to host a fund raiser, gather signatures, enter data, or many other roles
- Endorse – and ask your friends too
- The single payer healthcare committee meets the 2nd Thursday of each month at 9:00 a.m. at Quimper Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 2333 San Juan Ave, Port Townsend, WA 98368. Contact: Carla Woodward, (360) 531-4510, firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how you can help or to be added to the mailing list.
Health Care is a Platform Issue
“We believe high quality health care is an essential human right. We advocate for systems that support mental health, physical well-being and dental care. It is essential that all patients be fully informed of all legal medical options for their care, and be given prompt access to treatments of their choice.” Jefferson County Democrats’ Platform. Healthcare is the special focus of concerned Democrats.
Within JCD, this group will help JCD membership study and track legislation pertaining to healthcare, so that membership can intelligently question candidates for office as well as elected representatives, and inform others.
Read our committee’s Strategic Plan for 2017
- Click here to read the Jefferson County Democrats’ Platform.
- Click here to read the Jefferson County Democrats’ Bylaws.
- Click here to read Washington State Democrats’ Health Care issues and passed resolutions page.
- Click here to read the Washington State Democrats Platform.
- Click here to read about the Washington State legislative process.
- Click here to read about S.1804, Medicare for All Act of 2017 – Senate
- Click here to read about HR 676, Expanded & Improved Medicare for All Act – House
- Click here to read about S.771, Improving Access To Affordable Prescription Drugs Act – Senate
- Click here to read about WA HB 1026, Requiring the submission of a waiver to the federal government to create the Washington health security trust.
- This bill would create single payer financing.
- Co-sponsored by our own Mike Chapman and Steve Tharinger.
- From HB 1026 text:
“The people of the state of Washington declare their intention to create a single health financing entity called the Washington health security trust. Through public hearings, research, and consensus building, the trust will: (a) Provide fair, simple, and accountable health care financing for all Washington residents using a single health care financing entity; (b) cover a comprehensive package of effective and necessary personal health services; (c) make health care coverage independent from employment; (d) eliminate excessive administrative costs resulting from the current fragmented system of multiple insurers; (e) generate savings sufficient to ensure coverage for all Washington residents; (f) integrate current publicly sponsored health programs into the health security trust; (g) preserve choice of providers for Washington residents; (h) protect patient rights; (i) keep clinical decisions in the hands of health professionals and patients, rather than administrative 14 personnel; (j) promote health care quality; and (k) control excessive health care costs.”
To join us in research and action on health care equality, contact: Carla Woodward, (360) 531-4510, email@example.com.
- Whole Washington – Currently organizing for a single payer initiative campaign action for Washington State. Whole Washington is actively seeking volunteers in all LDs for promotion, tabling, fund raising, data entry, and other opportunities.
- Health Care for All-WA -Working for high quality, sustainable, affordable, publicly-funded health care for ALL Washington residents.
- Health Care is a Human Right Washington – A campaign made up of supporting organizations and individuals from throughout the state standing together to create a health system that reflects our principles.
- Puget Sound Advocates for Retirement Action (PSARA) – Efforts are based on the belief that seniors, our children and grandchildren need and deserve: Comprehensive, affordable health care, including prescription drug coverage; among other basic rights. Our local PSARA chapter recently worked with the Board of Jefferson Healthcare to pass this Resolution Regarding Medicare, Medicaid, and Federal Health Insurance Policy. Contact Diane Jones to get involved with PSARA.
- Physicians for a National Healthcare Plan – Western Washington – A single issue organization advocating a universal, comprehensive single-payer national health program
- National Nurses United – Supports a Medicare for all healthcare system that requires each participating state to set up and administer comprehensive healthcare services as an entitlement for all, through a progressively financed, single-payer system, administered by the states.
- Healthcare – NOW – To win a national single-payer health care system. Because access to healthcare is basic to human dignity.
Three Jefferson county screenings of the documentary film “Now is the Time – Healthcare for Everybody”
Representative Mike Chapman and Dr. Shannan Kirchner led a panel discussion of the film, and issues of healthcare inequality.
The film and screening guide are available to check out from the Healthcare Committee to host a screening for your group or neighbors. The film is also available to rent or purchase online from the filmmaker’s website below.
From the film makers’ website:
“While the Affordable Care Act has helped some people, many of us are feeling the pinch of rising costs and narrowing networks. Through interviews, animations and exposé, this new documentary film tells the story of the drama, struggle, and success of the movement towards healthcare equity.”
Watch the trailer here.