- Click here to visit the “5 Calls, 5 Minutes” site for an ongoing, updated list of issues and contact numbers.
March 22, 2017:FOUR strong voting bills in our Washington State Legislature need your help to move them out of committee. Three of these bills were co-sponsored by our Legislators, Steve Tharinger and Mike Chapman.The public hearings which for these bills which take place tomorrow Mar. 22nd in Olympia at 8 am, and will be held in Senate Hearing Rm 2 in the J.A. – Cherberg Building, 304 15th Ave SW, Olympia, WA 98501.But you are needed to contact Senate State Government Committee Chair Mark Miloscia and urge him to take action on HB 1468, HB 1513, HB 1800 and HB 1807 to help make these bills a reality. Miloscia’s contact information is Senator Mark Miloscia, (360) 786-7658, firstname.lastname@example.org Your CALLS would be preferable by Monday the 27th at the latest to be effective.Please show your support for these voting bills. Citizen power is how we win!Eleven Day Voter Registration (HB 1468) would allow Washingtonians to register to vote closer to the election day, instead of missing deadlines that are often over a month prior to the election. Public Comments for HB 1468 here.Pre-registration of 16 & 17 year-olds (HB 1513) would allow young people to pre-register to vote at the DMW, online, and in person. Upon turning 18, their registrations would activate so that they can vote as soon as they are eligible. As voter turnout declines, we need to be proactive, teach our kids the value of voting, and build the foundations for a lifetime of civic involvement. Thank our very own Steve Tharinger who is a co-sponsor by making Public Comments for HB 1513 here.The Washington Voting Right Act (HB 1800) establishes a voting rights act to promote equal voting opportunity by authorizing district-based elections and establishing a way to redress lack of voter opportunity, especially for underrepresented communities. Thank our very own Steve Tharinger who is a co-sponsor of this bill as well by making Public Comments for HB 1800 here.The Washington Disclose Act of 2017 or HB 1807 would increase the transparency of contributions by including non-profit organizations among those which must report. Click here to make public comments for this bill.
Call Reichert On ACA
(An Action Request from WA State Dems)
U.S. Congressman Dave Reichert had previously vowed that “no one will lose coverage” under the Republican health care proposal. But as we know, that’s false. Reichert is lying about Trumpcare and the millions of people who would lose health care or see their premiums rise sky high. And while he’s already voted once to pass Trumpcare out of the House Ways & Means Committee, we need to hold him accountable in advance of a vote of the full House of Representatives.
Reichert’s office phone numbers are:
Washington D.C. 202-225-7761
Call Reichert’s office and let him know that Washingtonians expect Congress to expand health care coverage, not cut it! The ACA is the most popular it has been in years, it’s provided health care to 750,000 people in our state, and Republicans are going in the wrong direction.
Add Your Name To Our Health Care Petition
(An Action Request from WA State Dems)
We’re collecting a petition of names people across our state who want to see health care preserved. If you’ve already contacted the office of Congressman Reichert or taken another action, the next step is to click here to add your name to our petition telling Republicans in Congress: Hands off our healthcare! Or forward this email to a friend, and encourage them to add their name as well. Not only can we report to Congress how many thousands of people are signing these petitions, but we can rally our grassroots base around this important issue.
- The Senate Committee on Homeland Security is COUNTING CALLS before it finalizes approval of Steve Bannon’s appointment to the National Security Council. PLEASE CALL! 202-224-4751. HERE’S ALL YOU NEED TO SAY: “Hi my name is ______. I am from ____[state] and am an American citizen. I oppose Steve Bannon being confirmed to sit on our National Security Council.”
- Contact your Senator about blocking any nominee other than Merrick Garland for Supreme Court. Read more here.
- Senator Elizabeth Warren has introduced legislation, the Presidential Conflicts of Interest Act, to require the President and Vice-President to divulge and resolve all conflicts of interest in the Dakota Access Pipeline. MoveOn is coordinating petition delivery to each congressperson, asking each congressperson to pass Senator Warren’s bill, and then enforce it. Click here to read the Presidential Conflict of Interests Act. If you would like Jefferson County Democrats to take an official position on the Presidential Conflict of Interests Act, consider submitting a resolution. Click here to read about our resolutions process.
- Look under our Committees section to find Issues Action Groups that may be working on issues you want to follow and work on. Click here to reach our Committees home page.
- Volunteer with Jefferson County Democrats to help us provide better, faster coverage on how to fight back! Contact your PCO or e-mail email@example.com. Your PCO’s contact information can be found by clicking here.
- Follow us on twitter: @JeffersonCoDems. Click here to be taken to our twitter page.
- Like our facebook page to read posts there: Click here to be taken to our facebook page.
- Contact information for your elected officials can be found by clicking here.